Dr. Stephen P DeWeerth
Chair, Department of Biomedical Engineering
As Khalifa University's Chair of Biomedical Engineering, Prof. Stephen P DeWeerth is leading the set-up of the curriculum for the University's new biomedical engineering programme and field research facilities, as well as recruiting and managing biomedical engineering faculty members. He is based on Khalifa University's Abu Dhabi campus.
Biomedical Engineering Department Website
Prior to becoming Chair of Biomedical Engineering Department at Khalifa University, Prof. DeWeerth was Professor in the Wallace H. Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering and at the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgia, United States.
Prof. DeWeerth joined the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1991 as Assistant Professor at its School of Electrical and Computer Engineering. He became a founding member of its Wallace H. Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering in 1999.
Prof. DeWeerth holds a PhD. in Computation and Neural Systems from the California Institute of Technology (awarded in 1991) an M.S. in Computer Science also from the California Institute of Technology (1987) and a B.A. in Mathematics and Chemistry from Wartburg College in Iowa, USA (1985).
Prof. DeWeerth is an active member of the engineering community in the United States. He is a member of a number of distinguished engineering associations and is a:
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE)
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Member, Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES)
- Member, Society for Neuroscience (SfN)
- Member, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)