Associate Professor of Islamic History, Islamic Science, Islamic Law, Gulf Region, Near East Studies, and International Relations, Department of Humanities and Social Science
Address: Abu Dhabi, UAE, P.O.Box: 127788
Telephone: +971-(0)2-401 8083
Labeeb Bsoul received his undergraduate and graduate degrees in International Relations (with honors) from San Francisco State University (California, USA) in 1991. He received his doctorate degree (PhD) from McGill University in Montreal, Canada in Middle East and Islamic Studies in 2003.
He has previously held teaching positions at St. Mary’s University and Dalhousie University in Halifax-Canada, United Arab Emirates University, Abu Dhabi University.
In 2009 Dr. Bsoul joined the Khalifa University of Science, Technology and research (KSUTAR), which became part of the Khalifa University of Science and Technology in 2017. His areas of interest and expertise are modern and contemporary history of the Middle East, International Relations, Orientalism, Middle East and Islamic Studies, the Sciences of Islam and Islamic International Law and Treaties (Siyar). Dr. Bsoul is a published author and has penned numerous articles in a leading international journal on Middle East and Islam, along with chapters in several books.
JOURNAL EDITORIAL BOARD
- Journal of Social Affairs, Editorial Board, translator from Arabic into English and Frequent Reviewer.
- Islamic Rethink Journal: Editorial Board.
- Journal of Humanities and Cultural Studies R&D: Editorial Board
- Journal of Religion and Popular Culture: Frequent Reviewer
- Journal of Islamic Research Centre: Reviewer
- The Digest of Middle East Studies (DOMES): Contributor and Reviewers
- Athens Journal of History: Reviewer
External Examiner for Ph.D. Dissertation:
- Fahad Muhamad Ahmad’s Ph.d.’ dissertation topic: “Diplomatic Immunity in international law from the perspective of SharÊ‘a: a comparative study of materials relating to diplomatic immunity in the Vienna Convention 1961”. International Islamic University Malaysia. Report submitted on January 17, 2017.
- Shuaibu Umar Gokaru Ph.d.’ dissertation topic: “The Contribution of Uthman Bin Foduye (d. 1817) in Changing the Nigerian Society: A Discussion from the Perspective of Ibn Khaldun’s Concept of ‘Umran.”. University of Malaya, Feb. 2017.
- “In Search of Truth: Political Philosophy in the East and West.” Amsterdam University Press, an assessment review of the monograph submitted on Jan. 11th, 2017.
Reviewed many academic articles for several profound academic journals such as:
Journal of Humanities and Cultural Studies; Athens Journal of History; Journal of Humanities and Cultural Studies R&D; Journal of Islamic Research Centre; Advancement in Science and Technology Research; Journal of Religion and Popular Culture; International Greener Journal; Journal of Religion and Popular Culture; Greener Journal; Journal of Religion; Journal of Social Affairs; Journal of Peace Research; Journal of Religion Studies.
RELATED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Religion, Peace and Security in the Middle East, (Halifax-Canada) 2002-Present
- Co-founder and member of the organizing committee.
- Advises the organization primarily on Muslims and Middle East matters
Dalhousie University: Student activity, September 2002-2005.
- Public lecture organizer, panelist and presenter: Palestine Land, People and History
McGill University, Montreal, 1997-2005.
- Participated in panel discussion concerns the modern politics of Middle East.
- Submitting several seminars research based on Islamic legal institutions and the M. E.
- Expert witness for several local law firms.
Mosaic Vancouver, B.C. March 1996 - May 1997.
- Active in multicultural communities, Middle Eastern Society and Islam.
- Vancouver City Festival Committee: Active staff.
King Edward Campus, Vancouver, B.C. April 1995 - May 1997.
- English as a Second Language Tutor.
- Outreached Program: Teaching and assisting new immigrants and refugees understanding Canadian regulations, custom and institutions.
- Special cultural events administrator.
- International Student Service.
Arab-American Business and Professional Association, Virginia, USA External Affairs Officer, August 1991 - June 1992.
- Researcher Assistant: Middle East Affairs.
- Presented several lectures: current U. S. foreign policy in the M.E
San Francisco State University, California, 1987-1991.
- International Student Association Active Member
- International Relations Students Society vice president
- Co-Organizer of Conference on Globalization and Africa, April 1990.
AWARDS AND SCHOLARSHIPS
- ADEC Award for Research Excellence January- December 2016.
- Khalifa University Faculty of Excellence Award, 2014
- Abu Dhabi University Student Award, Spring 2009
- Who’s Who in Humanities January 2007
- UAEU Award-History Department undergraduate Students, May 2006.
- UAEU Female Campus: Certificate of Appreciation: March 2006
- Institute of Islamic Studies, McGill University, scholarship, March 1998-2001
- McGill University Dissertation Award, April 2000
- San Francisco State University: International Student, Award, October 1989.
- San Francisco State University: International Relations Department Award
- SFSU, Thesis Award May 1991
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND ORGANIZATIONS
- International Society for Islamic Legal Studies
- World Congress for Middle East Studies (WOCMES)
- Arab and Muslim Ethnicities and Diasporas Initiative (AMED)
- Journal of Social Affairs, the Sociological Association of the UAE,
- Canadian Society for the Study of Religion
- The Emirate Center for Strategic Studies and Research
- Middle East Association of North America
- Religion, Peace and Security in the Middle East
- World Research Organization and Club
- Congress of Humanities and Social Sciences-Canada
- Islamic Rethink Journal: Editorial Board.
- Journal of Humanities and Cultural Studies R&D
- Journal of Religion and Popular Culture: Frequent Reviewer
- Journal of Islamic Research Centre
- The Digest of Middle East Studies (DOMES)
- International Treaties (Mu‘ahadat) in Islam: Theory and Practice in the Light of Siyar (Islamic International Law. Publisher: University Press of America, 2008. ISBN: 0-7618-3898-8.
- Formation of Islamic jurisprudence: From the Time of the Prophetic to the middle of the 4th century. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016. ISBN: 978-1-137-58089-4, DOI: 10.1057/9781137578693.
- Islamic History and Law: From the 4th to the 11th Century and Beyond. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016. ISBN: 978-1-137-58090-0, DOI: 10.1057/9781137578679
- Medieval Islamic World: An Intellectual History of Science and Politics. New York: Peter Lang Publishing Inc. (accepted singed contract by both parties expected to be published by late November 2017, under progress)
- Brill’s Publication Invitation to propose focus through chapter entitled “Islamic Diplomacy: Views of the Classical Jurist”, in the book entitled “Islam and International Law: Engaging Self-Centrism from a Plurality of Perspectives." 2013: 125-145.
- Routledge Publication Invitation to propose a chapter and abstract International relations in Islam: towards consolidate (ta’ÎÊl) from the civilized jurisprudential (fiqh) perspective theory and practice/The Islamic Episteme of Development of Polities in International Affairs. To be published in 2016. Completed and submitted to the editor in August 2017.
- Routledge Handbook of Islamic Law proposed by Professor Khalid Abou El Fadl, UCLA School of Law Invitation to contribute a chapter[s] and abstract on The Juristic Debates on the Role of Consensus (IjmÉ‘) as an Instrument of Development and Consolidation; The Emergence of the MadhÉhib; and IjtihÉd and TaqlÊid. (Expected on late 2017)
- ADEC Award for Research Excellence submitted proposal entitle “Integration between mental health-care providers and traditional and traditional spiritual healers: contextualising Islam in the 21st century,” as P.I. (Submitted Oct. 2015-due Sept. 2016).
Peer Reviewed Published Journal Articles (all of the following articles are sole author)
- “An Arab-Islamic awakening; or a setback to the community?” Journal of Social Science for Policy Implications June 2017, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 1-18 ISSN: 2334-2900 (Print), 2334-2919 (Online) Copyright © The Author(s). All Rights Reserved. Published by American Research Institute for Policy Development DOI: 10.15640/10.15640/jsspi.v5n1a1
- “Classical Muslim scholars’ Development of the Experimental Scientific Method: ‘Iml al-IstiqrÉ’/induction approach and methodology”. Journal of Humanities and Cultural Studies R&D, vol. 2, Issue 4, August 2017, pp. 1-33.
- “An Arab-Muslim Scientific Heritage: Islamic Medicine.” Journal of Humanities and Social Science (IOSR-JHSS). Volume 21, Issue 10, Ver. 8 (October 2016), pp. 29-46, 3-ISSN: 2279-0837, p-ISSN: 2297-0845. DOI: 10.9790/0837-2110082946
- “The Development of Islamic Jurisprudence: Late Thirteenth/Nineteen Century to the Early Present” IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Science (IOSR-JHSS) Volume 21, Issue 2, Ver. II (Feb. 2016), pp. 67-77 e-ISSN: 2279-0837, p-ISSN: 2279-0845.
- “International relations development in the Middle East: A historical overview”. Journal of Social Affairs, Issue 123, vol. 35, Fall 2014, pp. 165-205.
- “Culture and Civilization”. Journal of Social Affairs, Issue 122, vol. 34, Summer 2014, pp. 233-247.
- “Classical and contemporary Muslim juridical view of terrorism”, Journal of Politics and Religion, Volume VIII (No. 1), Spring 2014: 19-39.
- “Contemporary Muslim and Arab Governments in Theory and Practice”, Journal of Social Affairs, vol. 30, Number 118, Summer 2013, pp. 11-39.
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of Islam and Politics, consulted by the Editorial Board member to write and revised articles, published in vols. 1 and 2, 2014,
- a. “Muslims and Non-Muslims Relations”, vol. 1, pp.112-117.
- b. “MuÍammad MuÎÎadÊq”, vol. 1, pp. 80-82.
- c. AbË al-A‘lÉ’ al-MuwdËdÊ”, vol. 1, 43-47.
- d. “The Reformer: MuÍammad ‘Abduh (d. 1905),” submitted on August 30th, 2012, vol. 1, pp. 9-14.
- e. “The Chief Justice: AbË YËsuf, Ya‘qËb ibn Ibrahim ibn ×abÊb al-AnÎÉrÊ (d. 182/799),” submitted on August 30th, 2012, vol. 1, pp. 17-18.
- f. “‘Ahd/mu‘Éhada - covenant /treaty in Islamic Jurisprudence”, vol. 2, pp. 489-491.
- The process of drafting treaties in Islamic jurisprudence: a comparison of the views of classical jurists.” The Journal of Rotterdam of Islamic Social Sciences (JRISS), November 2011, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 19-44.
- “The concept of treaty in Islamic Jurisprudence: A comparative view of the classical jurists.” Journal of Islam in Asia, vol. 7, No. 1. July 2010, pp. 55-86.
- al-Ijma‘/Consensus in the Shaping of Islamic Law: A comparative view of the classical jurists World Journal of Islamic History and Civilization, 2:2 116-127, 2012).
- Historical Progress of Islamic law of Nations/Siyar: Between Memory and Desire. The Digest of Middle East Studies (DOMES), Spring 2008, vol. 17, pp. 48-67.
- “Toward International Relation Theory in Islam.” Published in The Journal of Social Affairs and The Digest of Middle East Studies (DOMES) Fall 2007, vol. 16. No. 2, pp. 71-96.
- “The Status of the Palestinians in Israel: 1948 to pre-Oslo,” article in Arab Studies Quarterly. Spring 2006, pp. 27-54.
- Several articles in local and external newspapers and magazine in both languages Arabic and English. St. Mary’s Journal, Koul al-‘Arab, al-Mithaq and Al-Khaleej Newspaper and Qatar Tribune: several academic and analytical articles. Sept. 2001-2013.
Labeeb Bsoul’s citations not incorporated into the google scholar
The Process of Drafting Treaties in Islamic Jurisprudence - De Gruyter by LA Bsoul - 2011 12‐16; Labeeb Bsoul, “Historical Progress of Islamic law of Nations/Siyar: ... 12 See, for example, Labeeb Ahmed Bsoul, “The Concept of Treaty in Islamic
PDF]PDF File - The Journal of Islamic Governance www.islamic-governance.org/gal/pdf/iirs.theoretical-framework.pdf Cached Contemporary Islamic Studies, No. 2, 2012. 28 Bsoul, Labeeb Ahmed, “Theory of International Relations in Islam”, Digest of the Middle East Studies, Vol. 16,. American Journal of Social Science Studies R&D - wixsite.com jrsdjournal.wixsite.com/jsss Cached Dr. Labeeb Bsoul, Associate Professor, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences,Khalifa University, UAE. Dr.Patricia Boyd, Associate Professor at College ...
[PDF]PDF Full-text - MDPI.com www.mdpi.com/2077-1444/5/1/321/pdf Cached by A Ahmad - 2014 Mar 3, 2014 - Berthrong, John. Beyer, Peter. Blezer, H. W. A.. Blumenthal, James. Bradford, G. Kenneth. Bsoul, Labeeb Ahmed. Bullón De Mendoza, Alfonso [PDF]Force of Laws - Religion and Diversity Project religionanddiversity.ca/media/uploads/projects.../force_of_laws_bibliography.pdf Cached Bsoul, Labeeb Ahmed. 2008. ―Historical Evolution of Islamic Law of Nations/Siyar: Between Memory and Desire.‖ Domes 17(1): 48. Buss, Andreas. 2004.
Islam and International Relations: Contributions to Theory and ... www.coiris.org/islam-and-international-relations-contributions-to-theory-and-practice/ Cached Feb 28, 2016 - Associate Professor Labeeb Ahmed Bsoul, Khalifa University, Abu Dhabi. “An outstanding effort to construct international theory from the East… [PDF]Anti-Semitism the World Over in the Twenty-first ... - Jeffrey A. Schaler www.schaler.net/SimonandSchaler.pdf Cached Cited by 11 - Related articles By Bsoul, Labeeb Ahmed. “The status of Palestinians in Israel: 1948-Oslo.”, Arab Studies Quarterly. (ASQ), Spring 2006 Issue. 61 http://baku.usembassy.gov
The Concept of treaty in Islamic Jurisprudence: A comparative view of ... journals.iium.edu.my/jiasia/index.php/Islam/article/view/49 Cached by LA Bsoul - 2010 The Concept of treaty in Islamic Jurisprudence: A comparative view of the classical jurists. Labeeb bsoul. Abstract. This article aims to shed light on a particular ...
[PDF]Islamic Law States and the Authority of the International Court of Justice scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=4772&context=lcp by EJ Powell - 2016 - Related articles Jan 28, 2016 - As described by Bsoul, Amān indicated a “pledge of security ... LABEEB AHMED BSOUL, INTERNATIONAL TREATIES (MU'AHADAT) IN
[PDF]Congress Program 2009 - Canadian Corporation for Studies in Religion ccsr.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/combinedprogram2009.pdf Cached THE WORLD OF EARLY JUDAISM AND CHRISTIANITY. Chair: Labeeb Bsoul (Abu Dhabi University). David W Kim (University of Sydney). How Did You Decide
[PDF]DAFTAR PUSTAKA Abu Sulayman, Abdul Hamid A.1987 ... - ETD UGM etd.repository.ugm.ac.id/.../S2-2015-237315-bibliography.pdf Cached Bsoul, Labeeb Ahmed.2008.International Treaties (Mu‟ahadaat) in Islam: Theory and Practice in the Light of Islamic International Law (siyar) according to.
Mengurus Hak Beragama Bukan Muslim dari Perspektif Siasah Syar ... e-journal.um.edu.my/public/article-view.php?id=5884 Cached by MZA Rahman - 2013 - Related articles Nov 29, 2013 - 3 (Autumn 1998), pp. 102-112. Bsoul, Labeeb Ahmed, International Treaties (Mu?ahadat) in Islam (Lanham: University Press of America 2008).
[PDF]full Text - International Journal of Information Technology & Business ... www.jitbm.com/41%20volume/6%20DOCTRINE%20OF%20JIHAD.pdf Cached by MS JAJERE - 2012 Sep 29, 2015 - If you kill one soul is like you killed the whole nation and whoever spares a ..... Labeeb Ahmed Bsoul International treaties (Mu'ahadat): Theory ...
[PDF](WOCMES-2) - Final uploads.batelco.jo/.../W2_academic_program_dated_29_May_2006_FINALl.pdf Cached May 29, 2006 - Labeeb Bsoul, United Arab Emirates University. Panelists: Sylvia Akar, University of Helsinki. Hadith and the Challenge of Globalization.
PDF]El mundo árabe - Marcial Pons www.marcialpons.es/static/pdfs/mundo_arabe_1.pdf Cached
Bsoul, Labeeb Ahmed: International treaties (Mu. 'ahadat) in Islam: theory and practice in the light of is- lamic international Law (Siyar) according to orthodox.
PDF]08/18/2014 wocmes 2014 - day 1 - Hypotheses https://f.hypotheses.org/wp-content/blogs.dir/1460/files/.../scientific_program.pdf Cached Labeeb Bsoul: An Arab-Muslim Scientific Heritage: Islamic Medicine. Class and Working Life in Turkey. 18.08.2014. 17.00-19.00. FZ 16. Moderators: TBA; D: ...
PDF]waset 2013 dubai, uae - Waset.org https://waset.org/programs/Dubai13.pdf Cached Jan 14, 2013 - Labeeb Bsoul. Khalifa University of Science, UAE. Does integration increase life satisfaction? Zsoka Koczan. University of Cambridge, United ... Halifax Symposium on Palestine, 2003 | Tony Seed's Weblog https://tonyseed.wordpress.com/2003/03/24/halifax-symposium-on-palestine-2003/ Cached Mar 24, 2003 - Professor Labeeb B'soul of the History Department, St Mary's University, then delivered a major paper, “Divide and Conquer: Government ... Participants - WOCMES 2014 :: World Congress for Middle Eastern paperzz.com/doc/.../participants---wocmes-2014----world-congress-for-middle-e... Cached ... Braham Brahim Bram Brancaforte Brandt Brigui Brun Bsoul Khadidja Lamia ... Mehdi Brahamia Chen Elio Marieke Fouad Elodie Labeeb Ahmed University of ...
Theory of International Relations in Islam - Bsoul - 2007 - Digest of ... onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1949-3606.2007.tb00127.x/abstract by LA Bsoul - 2007 - Cited by 3 - Related articles Labeeb Ahmed Bsoul Ph.D. Close author notes. Qatar University. Search for more papers by this author. First published: October 2007 Full publication history
World Order: Reflections on the Character of Nations and the Course ... https://books.google.ae/books?isbn=0241004276 Henry Kissinger - 2014 - Political Science ... on the Character of Nations and the Course of History Henry Kissinger ... “Islamic legal rulings stipulate”: Labeeb Ahmed Bsoul, International Treaties (Mu'a
Labeeb Bsoul - International Conference for Academic Disciplines https://ijasrome2012.sched.org/speaker/labeebbsoul Cached Check out what Labeeb Bsoul will be attending at International Conference for Academic Disciplines. Review: Theory of International Relaton in Islam (Labeeb Ahmed Bsoul) walliyudin.blogspot.com/.../theory-of-international-relaton-in.html Cached Oct 12, 2011 - Tulisan ini merupakan review terhadap artikel yang ditulis oleh Labeeb Ahmed Bsoul, Ph.D Islam secara kuantitas merupakan agama dengan ...
[PDF]PDF File - The Journal of Islamic Governance www.islamic-governance.org/gal/pdf/iirs.theoretical-framework.pdf Cached Contemporary Islamic Studies, No. 2, 2012. 28 Bsoul, Labeeb Ahmed, “Theory of International Relations in Islam”, Digest of the Middle East Studies, Vol. 16,. Law of nation legal definition of Law of nation legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Law+of+nation Cached Labeeb Ahmed Bsoul. International Treaties (Mu'ahadat) in Islam: Theory and Practice in the Light of Islamic International Law (Siyar) according to Orthodox ..